Dorien Herremans is an Assistant Professor at Singapore University of Technology and Design, where she is also Director of Game Lab. Dorien has a joint-appointment at the Institute of High Performance Computing, A*STAR and works as a certified instructor for the NVIDIA Deep Learning Institute. Before being at SUTD, she was a Marie Sklodowska-Curie Postdoctoral Fellow at the Centre for Digital Music at Queen Mary University of London, where she worked on the project: ``MorpheuS: Hybrid Machine Learning – Optimization techniques To Generate Structured Music Through Morphing And Fusion''. She received her Ph.D. in Applied Economics on the topic of Computer Generation and Classification of Music through Operations Research Methods, and graduated as a commercial engineer in management information systems at the University of Antwerp in 2005. After that, she worked as a Drupal consultant and was an IT lecturer at the Les Roches University in Bluche, Switzerland. She also worked as a mandaatassistent at the University of Antwerp, in the domain of operations management, supply chain management and operations research. Dr. Herremans' research interests include machine learning and music for automatic music generation, data mining for music classification (hit prediction) and novel applications at the intersection of machine learning/optimization and music.
- aiMuVi: generating AI music from music and video with emotion
- MorpheuS: generating music with long term structure
- A model for tonal tension based on the spiral array
- Generating counterpoint with optimization techniques
- Generating music with composer specific characteristics (Android app FuX).
- Dance hit song prediction
- Combining machine learning for evaluating music in an optimization context. Generating bagana music.
- Generating automatic piano fingerings with Iterated Local Search
- A computer aided guitar solo generation system (using exact optimization techniques)